2021 Theme - "The Sky's The Limit"
By mobilizing River Region volunteers for Days of Action each June, United Way improves the quality of life for everyone through efforts focused on health, education, financial stability and basic needs.
This year, Days of Action projects are themed "The Sky's the Limit!" and focus on education, as children learn about Weather, the Earth and our Solar System. We are joining forces again with Notasulga Elementary School in Macon County, and with our new community partner, Airport Road Intermediate School in Elmore County. Volunteers will assist with summer reading camps scheduled for June 14-17 (Coosada) and June 21-24, 2021 (Notasulga). Both reading camps will include a class field trip to the W.A. Gayle Planetarium.
Education is one of the most important building blocks for a good life. Unfortunately, too many children from low-income families do not have enough opportunities to strengthen their reading skills, which stymies their education. The purpose of this project is two-fold:
- To provide opportunities in a fun setting for pre-k to 6th grade children to develop a love for reading early in life
- To help fight "summer learning loss." Often referred to as the summer slide, summer learning loss occurs when students return to school at a lower academic level than the end of the last school year.
This year, volunteer opportunities are limited to those individuals who currently serve on the RRUW Board, Committees, Community Impact Council, Campaign Cabinet or Loaned Executives. They will assist school faculty and staff with children’s activities at the summer learning camps.
If you have questions regarding Days of Action, please call WiL Fields at 334-323-2504, or email him at WFields@RRUW.org
Days of Action Sites:
- Airport Road Intermediate School, 384 Blackmon Farm Lane, Coosada 36020
- Notasulga Elementary (at Notasulga High School), 500 E. Main Street, Notasulga 36866
- W.A. Gayle Planetarium, 1010 Forest Avenue, Montgomery 36106